The third event in our Quaker Leadings in Higher Education series was held on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm EDT. The theme was:
Belonging and Emotional Safety: Affective Learning Strategies for First Generation Success
Creating a learning environment for first generation and sometimes marginalized students can be helped by using affective learning activities. How faculty show up in the classroom and the atmosphere they create for learning will have an impact on these students. Through participatory activities, we will experience the possibilities for transforming our classrooms both face to face and online.
Presenter: Diego Navarro,
Emeritus Professor, Cabrillo College
Founder and Principal Investigator, Academy for College Excellence
Senior Fellow, WGU Labs, affiliated with Western Governors University
Moderator: Traci Hjelt Sullivan,
Interim Director, Pendle Hill
- Here is a link to the event flyer.
- Here is a link to the presentation.
- Here is a link to the slides shown during the presentation.
- Traits of Highly Successful People.
- Traits of Successful Students.
- University Halls: Not Prison Walls
- The Role of Community Colleges in Alleviating Poverty